The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I'm sure you're able to figure out what it was supposed to show.

Edit: OK, I was trying to draw him cutting a piece of wood... and damnit, I already know what you'll say after I post this.
  • edited August 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Ok here we go I added LeChuck.....

Monkey_Island_2_Cast_by_Irishmile.png

Hate to be that guy, but you should probably redraw Elaine at some point. The angles of her head and shoulders are all wonky relative to everyone else.

LeChuck looks awesome
  • edited August 2009
    I know its pretty crap but here is just a simple Lechuck drawing i did in paint after looking at an image from google.

Lechuck.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Hooray, somebody finally posted the video of this onto Youtube:
    Curse of Monkey Island Theme in osu!

screenshot071-7.jpg

The video I got had all the credits removed, so I had all these blank canvases... so I had all the osu! people draw pictures of pirates to put there.
  • edited August 2009
    WOW. That's amazing.
  • edited August 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Hate to be that guy, but you should probably redraw Elaine at some point. The angles of her head and shoulders are all wonky relative to everyone else.

LeChuck looks awesome

Meh Im thinking of it more like concept art.... if I was actually going to make new sprite replacements then I would do that.
  • edited August 2009
    tmiguybrush.jpg tmilechuck.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    I wish I had even half the artistic talent that any of you have.
  • edited August 2009
    Ditto that.

Junaid your pictures are amazing, really love the Guybrush one!
  • edited August 2009
    Junaid - great work! Ze lighting is just... wow. :)
  • edited August 2009
    Here is an atempt at Guybrush

Guybrush-1.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Here's another version of Guybrush in MI1

miswordguyale2009.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Love your work, guys. Makes me soo jealous of your art skills I've never went past the doodle stage.

By the way, I've got a question for Junaid. Why have you drawn the spiral in the background of your pictures? I'm asking, because Monkey Island series seem to have a thing with spirals; they seem to surface everywhere. Done it consciously?
  • edited August 2009
    feverfew wrote: »
    By the way, I've got a question for Junaid. Why have you drawn the spiral in the background of your pictures? I'm asking, because Monkey Island series seem to have a thing with spirals; they seem to surface everywhere. Done it consciously?

Yeah, ever since Bill Tiller's curly clouds in CMI, it's now common to put spirals on all things Monkey Island related. And although I'm not a big fan of the overkill of spirals in TMI and MI:SE (seriously, why on the knee and the chin of a man?!), I'm also not a big fan of empty backgrounds so I put them there because of the whole style :)
  • edited August 2009
    Junaid wrote: »
    Yeah, ever since Bill Tiller's curly clouds in CMI, it's now common to put spirals on all things Monkey Island related. And although I'm not a big fan of the overkill of spirals in TMI and MI:SE (seriously, why on the knee and the chin of a man?!), I'm also not a big fan of empty backgrounds so I put them there because of the whole style :)

I've suspected it :) Bill's clouds pretty much made MI curly. And that's not all: I remember vividly the ships and trees in CMI, all winding and swirling. As far as I remember, they were also in voodoo-related things (swirling gas and so on). Apparently, they may have some spiritual significance http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/14/149.html
    And in Tales, even Guybrush's coat has them :p
  • edited August 2009

Your style reminds me of Braid, I like this! :)
  • edited August 2009
    I wish I could draw like you guys.
  • edited August 2009
    I made a wallpaper hope you like it :)

ToMIwallpaper1.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    I like it, maybe add a third picture and shift them along slightly (so it fits of course). Just seems to me that the Voodoo Lady isn't the only other main character. Don't go overboard with them but I think it could do with just one more, 3 seems to make more sense to me.

Unless of course you didn't save it in layers and you have to do it all again, then don't bother :P

Edit:MI101_desinge_airgun.jpg

How about that one? I think it would look best either in between Guybrush and the Voodoo Lady or on the right of them both. It wouldn't work on the left though due to how they are facing (and a flip is never a great idea when you don't have to)
  • edited August 2009
    okay i do it right now...:) I thought about more characters, but i didn´t do it...

15 Minutes later....
    Okay here i´ve done it:)

i have to say, it looks better, but the guy (i do not know the name now, cuase i don´t have the game, but i will get it tomorrow... than my paypal conto wikk be aktivated (i hope) I´m so exited :) )

ToMIwallpaper12.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Brilliant!
  • edited August 2009
    I think the little Guybrush in a box is a bit superfluous, looks kind of silly having 2 Guybrushs right next to each other.
  • edited August 2009
    yeah i agree, put winslow there
  • edited August 2009
    Awesome, that's the real Guybrush, alright.
  • edited August 2009
    Deny wrote: »
    Okay here i´ve done it:)

You've made him a little small I think, you should keep the head proportions the same :O a little more improvement and it will be perfect :p
  • edited August 2009
    I've just been trying that camera projection technique that was used in those 3D Scabb Island vids that have been doing the rounds recently.

dZgrX.jpg

Nowhere near finished yet, but it's coming along nicely, I think.

Credit for the idea to do this goes to http://www.loneclone.de/projects/monkey.htm

edit: here's another version with the bits which are fully modelled highlighted

70g3g.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Sorry for the double post, but I've done a lot more to the scene since last night.

pTfHj.jpg

Still need to fix some textures to work from other angles but I'm just going to focus on the modelling for the time being.
  • edited August 2009
    it's nice but it's still low resolution so it accomplishes nothing. use the higher res version that is floating around...
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, I've got the high res concept art but there's a massive crease down the middle which throws everything off.

I wouldn't say it accomplishes nothing though, I can still pan around it in 3D, there's the lighting and things I can tweak, and it's getting me some general practice in 3D modelling.

edit: uggffff i hate sounding defensive like i can't take critique. i guess i'm just trying to say i'm not going for a professional mi2 special edition look. i'm just messing about with what i've got and seeing what happens.
  • edited August 2009
    Great, cheers mate.

I think some things are a tad different than in the image I've been using, so I'll probably have to tweak the models, but it should work out alright.
  • edited August 2009
    GUYBRUSHLECHUCK.jpg

I thought I'd contribute.
  • edited August 2009
    That's awesome. I love the style. Am I the only one who think's Lechuck's head reminds me of an alien? :D
  • edited August 2009
    That's awesome. I love the style. Am I the only one who think's Lechuck's head reminds me of an alien? :D

hmmmm more like a Predator
  • edited August 2009
    Here another attempt at Guybrush i havnt tried to add shading or anything:

guybrushwithcolourcopy-1.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    I freakin love your drawing, Ayato :eek:
    I'm not a huge fan of the way guybrush looks in Tales, but your version is really great.
    And LeChuck ain't bad, too ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Ayato wrote: »
    GUYBRUSHLECHUCK.jpg

I thought I'd contribute.

wow great work :D
  • edited August 2009
    My version of Monkey Island 2 Special Edition:

mi2seswampgb.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Badwolf wrote: »
    uggffff i hate sounding defensive like i can't take critique. i guess i'm just trying to say i'm not going for a professional mi2 special edition look. i'm just messing about with what i've got and seeing what happens.

Hey, I think you have every right to be defensive. I would have been XD It's not very nice for you to put work into something and then have someone tell you it "accomplishes nothing" :/

and I wouldn't really call that constructive criticism either. I think it looks great! Make an animated gif to show off its 3D look ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Hehe, thought I'd join the 3D frenzy with a pre-alpha pirate 3D model. There's not much there yet beyond the basic shape (he hasn't even received his second eye yet), but what the heck, I still think it looks nice (keep in mind I just play around with modeling tools around once a year and never, ever use them for my daily work)

pirate.next.png
Sign in to comment in this discussion.