TMIMCACT!!! (The Monkey Island Movie Concept Art Compilation Thread)

edited December 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
So these were all the concept art drawings I could find of the cancelled MI movie (may you R.I.P.).
PLEASE tell me that I missed some! :P

Curse.jpg

Movie2.jpg

Movie1.jpg

Movie3.jpg

This movie would've been awesome if it were animated in the same style as these drawings (with some Bill Tiller-esque quality, of course! :P)

So what do we know of the story?
What could the plotline have been, based on these drawings? It's not taken out from any of the games for sure...

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Yes, there are some more :)

Have a look on Steve Purcell's blog, in the "Pirates" category... http://spudvisionblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Pirates

captain200.jpg w410.png

And the penultimate line in Tony Stacchi's portfolio : http://www.stacchi.com/folio/

scumbar2.jpg w856.png

Ah, how I wish there was an artbook with all those wonderful drawings...
  • edited August 2009
    Awesome! It's interesting to see that the human LeChuck idea existed before ToMI.
  • edited August 2009
    If you want to know the plotline it would have been very similar to Pirates of the Carribean.
  • edited August 2009
    fwed1 wrote: »
    If you want to know the plotline it would have been very similar to Pirates of the Carribean.

Yeah, I've heard that, but that's just a rumor, no?
    If we compare the concept art drawings to the POTC plotline, there are close to none similarities. (except the skeleton horde and the side-kick monkey)

Crewman.jpg

EMF.jpg

Guy.jpg

Registry200.jpg

Ship200.jpg

TheDeal.jpg

Rally.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    OCKi wrote: »
    Awesome! It's interesting to see that the human LeChuck idea existed before ToMI.
    I wonder if Tales of Monkey Island has incorporated some ideas from the Monkey Island movie...
  • edited August 2009
    I guess we'll never know.. :/
  • edited August 2009

So what do we know of the story?
    What could the plotline have been, based on these drawings? It's not taken out from any of the games for sure...

want to know the movie plot/outline/story....
    Watch the second and third PotC movies, the script for the MI movie was interwoven with the two by the script writer (Ted Elliott)
    (At least thats what I've heard on several fora/topics).

Basicly, Ron Gilbert feels the same way too,
    http://grumpygamer.com/8123463
  • edited August 2009
    jortlaban wrote: »
    Basicly, Ron Gilbert feels the same way too,
    http://grumpygamer.com/8123463

Yeah, but he feels this way because the first POTC movie basically had the same plot as SoMI; A bunch of ghost pirates kidnaps the governor's daughter, and its up to pirate wannabes to save the day. Also.. The second movie had elements like Davy Jones (who kinda looks like LeChuck), cannibals and a voodoo lady. The resemblance is spooky, and I completely understand his reaction.

There is no proof that they took the story line from Monkey Island - The Movie (which is a completely different project), and transferred it to the POTC trilogy? That is just a rumor.
  • edited August 2009
    There is no proof that they took the story line from Monkey Island - The Movie (which is a completely different project), and transferred it to the POTC trilogy? That is just a rumor.
    Well, it's a bit more than just a rumour, because the person who told us at WMI had inside knowledge. See also this article.
  • edited August 2009
    I'm sorry, but if this is the only "proof, I'm not entirely convinced of this.
    Just because he co-wrote on both projects, doesn't mean that the POTC plot = Monkey Island The Movie plot. I'm sure he drew with him some influences here and there, but thats about all we can assume.

And judging from these drawings, there are plenty of characters and scenarios that differs from the POTC series.
  • edited August 2009
    Guy.jpg

I wish Guybrush in CMI looked like THAT one. I really, I really do not like his CoMI design, to be honest.
  • edited August 2009
    Farlander wrote: »
    I wish Guybrush in CMI looked like THAT one. I really, I really do not like his CoMI design, to be honest.

That style doesn't really match his personality.
  • edited August 2009
    TheDeal.jpg

Rally.jpg

These two are my absolute favorite. I had not seen them before; thanks for posting them.
  • edited August 2009

Guybrush looks to serious in this one.
  • edited August 2009
    504mts.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    The Guybrush in that painting reminds me of a pirate version of Alladin for some odd reason. Probably the monkey.
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, but he feels this way because the first POTC movie basically had the same plot as SoMI; A bunch of ghost pirates kidnaps the governor's daughter, and its up to pirate wannabes to save the day. Also.. The second movie had elements like Davy Jones (who kinda looks like LeChuck), cannibals and a voodoo lady. The resemblance is spooky, and I completely understand his reaction.

not the first, the second movie... the script for the PotC movies is done by the same guy who wrote the MI movie...

It has been said by one of the production team that PotC 2 and 3 is basicly the Monkey Island Movie
  • edited August 2009
    This still creeps me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2sZDjVYVWw
  • edited August 2009
    Zhadnost wrote: »

While some of his interpretations are quite off, like the small guy being Wally just because he's small, he had some other cool stuff that made a lot of sense.

I really like the interpretation of Will = SMI Guybrush, while Jack = MI2 Guybrush.
  • edited August 2009
    Guybrush looks to serious in this one.

Maybe he does. But still, he looks too goofy in CoMI.

The best Guybrush is MI2, IMO. Plus I like very much EfMI and ToMI Guybrush (EfMI one also has that cool red jacket :D )
  • edited August 2009
    Steve Purcell just added this MI movie concept art to his blog.

Leviathan.jpg

Keep em coming mr Purcell! :D
  • edited August 2009
    There's a new artwork from the MI movie on Steve's blog, and it's amazing :

theendbfc.jpg

The filename is "The End"... So apparently the Monkey Island movie was going to end with LeChuck being swallowed by the Leviathan :eek:
  • edited August 2009
    Hmmm... that's very...anti-climactic.

But the picture is superb!
  • edited August 2009

But the picture is superb!

but much less anti-climatic then it was a dream
  • edited August 2009

It depends : maybe this scene was the climax of a terrible swordfight between Guybrush and LeChuck on the mast, while the Leviathan was trying to crush the ship... And Guybrush, in pure adventure game fashion, had actually to use his brains to make LeChuck fall rather than actually stabbing him...

By the way, it remains me a lot of how Davy Jones fall into the maelström at the end of the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie... I guess that's another proof that ideas from the MI movies were re-used in the PotC trilogy.
  • edited August 2009
    If that's LeChuck, why the post with the pic is named "Tragedy"?
  • edited August 2009
    If that's LeChuck, why the post with the pic is named "Tragedy"?
    Because it's not LeChuck. I believe it was meant to be some sort of pirate captain, who was part of Guybrush's crew. Of course now after TMI we associate the fellow with human LeChuck.
  • edited August 2009
    ^
    I kinda implied that :)
  • edited August 2009
    The newest artwork is definitely my favorite, even if it shows Guybrush as a more heroic character than usual.
  • edited August 2009
    The newest artwork is definitely my favorite, even if it shows Guybrush as a more heroic character than usual.
    How? He's not saving the day, he's watching helplessly.

A ridiculous character can actually go through real dramatic scenarios. See, for example, the final season of Moral Orel.
  • edited August 2009
    How? He's not saving the day, he's watching helplessly.

A ridiculous character can actually go through real dramatic scenarios. See, for example, the final season of Moral Orel.

Hmmm.. I just got that Peter Pan-moments-after-an-epic-heroic-fight vibe from it, I guess! ;P
  • edited August 2009
    You know, as much as I love Bill Tiller's work - and I really do - no-one captures the Monkey Island visual aesthetic quite as well as Steve Purcell. If the movie had been made with this aesthetic (and if the games after MI2 had retained it, too) it would have been a wonderful thing to behold.
  • edited August 2009
    Marzhin wrote: »
    scumbar2.jpg w856.png

Ah, how I wish there was an artbook with all those wonderful drawings...

Wow! I haven't seen this one before!
  • edited August 2009
    Marzhin wrote: »
    There's a new artwork from the MI movie on Steve's blog, and it's amazing :

theendbfc.jpg

The filename is "The End"... So apparently the Monkey Island movie was going to end with LeChuck being swallowed by the Leviathan :eek:

Ah, nice! I didn't know the leviathan had HANDS! I imagined that it would've had a snake-like body...
  • edited August 2009
    I don't think it's "The End" of the movie, I think it's just "The End" of LeChuck. Notice how he looks human in the picture? I'm quite sure he turns undead halfway through the movie.
  • edited August 2009
    Okay, all these movie concept pieces are very nice n' all, but what we REALLY need right now is a Monkey Island movie.
  • edited August 2009
    LeChuck and his crew.

lechuckcrewz.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    Seen these? :O

MI-Beats.jpg

Behemoth-sml.jpg

*speechless*
  • edited November 2009
    Nice! I'd seen a few of these before but a lot of them are new to me! Purcell is beyond awesome. :D
  • edited November 2009
    Behemoth-sml.jpg

*speechless*
    Seems like a big monkey made of monkeys... pirate god?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.